Get Up & Go! Alaska Adventure Tours
Alaska Multi-Sport, Hiking, & Family Adventure Camping & Lodge Trips
Family Fun and Adventure
at Kenai Fjords National Park, Matanuska Glacier & Denali National Park!
Exceptional Wildlife & Glacier-Viewing Opportunities and an Exciting Variety of Included and Optional Activities.
8-day ‘Camp & Cabin’ and Lodge-based adventures for families with children 10+ (or 6+ on select departures*, please inquire).
Starts and Ends in Anchorage
2018 TOUR DATES & PRICES
ALASKA FAMILY EXPLORER ‘Camp & Cabin’-based tours:
Tour Dates: June 10-17; July 1-8; July 22-29; August 12-19. Additional and custom tour dates are possible, please call or email to discuss.
Tour Price: Adults: $1,525 + local sales tax. Children under 18: $995 + local sales tax
ALASKA FAMILY EXPLORER Lodge-based tours
Tour Dates: June 17-24; July 8-15; July 15-22; July 29-August 5; August 4-11; August 26-September 2. Additional and custom tour dates are possible, please call or email to discuss.
Tour Price: Adults: $2,125 + local sales tax. Children under 18: $1,495 + local sales tax
While our other tours are for adults only, our 8-day Alaska Family Explorer is specially designed with active children (ages 10 and older, or 6 and older on select and private trips, please inquire) and adventurous families in mind. Highlighted by multi-day visits to Denali and Kenai Fjords National Parks, and to the huge Matanuska Glacier, as well as the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC), Alaska Family Explorer features a full time guide (or two, for groups of 8-12 on Camp & Cabin-based versions of the trip), exceptional opportunities to view Alaskan wildlife and glaciers, as well as several fun and exciting included and optional activities that your family will remember forever!
We start the tour by heading south along dramatic Turnagain Arm toward the Kenai Peninsula. An included visit to the fantastic Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC), near Portage, affords great, close-up views of Alaskan wildlife, including bears. From here it’s on to the lush Kenai Peninsula and to the coastal community of Seward, gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park for a two-night stay. Here we can walk out to the gigantic Exit Glacier, and take a short hike through the coastal rain forest down to a pristine beach. Optional activities available in Seward include a fantastic wildlife and glacier-viewing cruise in the fjords of the national park, on the lookout for whales, sea otters, sea lions, bald eagles, puffins, and more. A visit to the excellent Alaska SeaLife Center; a salmon or halibut fishing charter; an easy 3-hour sea kayaking paddle; and even a helicopter-accessed dog-mushing trip on a glacier, are additional optional activities available here. Like all the other activities on this trip, included or optional, no previous experience is necessary to participate in any activity.
From Seward we’ll head northeast to our beautifully set lodge near the huge Matanuska Glacier, for a two-night stay. In addition to plenty of family time, there is a highly recommended option to strap crampons onto your boots and venture out onto the blue glacier ice on a guided glacier trek, or even try an introductory ice-climbing course (12 years minimum age for this activity). An exhilirating zip-line course is an additional option.
Next we head to Denali, one of the world’s most famous and inspirational national parks, for a three-night stay. Here you will ride on the park’s wildlife-viewing shuttle bus, on the lookout for grizzly bears, caribou, moose, Dall sheep, wolves, foxes and more. There will also be optional opportunities here to go river rafting (white or calm water); to take a scenic flight to Mt. McKinley (also known as Denali, this is the highest peak in North America), and to hike.
On the final day of the tour we visit the famous Denali dogsled kennels in the morning before making the drive back to Anchorage, where the tour ends at ~6 pm. A final and highly recommended option is to forego the drive, and instead board the Alaska Railroad for a beautiful wilderness train ride from Denali back to Anchorage (~8 pm arrival in Anchorage).
Both ‘Camp & Cabin’ (C&C) and lodge-based versions of this tour are available (on different dates, see above). Other than the nightly lodging, the itineraries of both versions of this 8-day, 7-night tour are identical. On the C&C version we will camp at established campgrounds five nights and stay in rooms at a beautifully set lodge two nights (two or three family members per room or cabin). The camping equipment we provide is of high quality; you need only bring sleeping bags and pads (or you can rent these cheaply from us with advance notice). On the lodge version we spend seven nights in comfortable lodges, two to four family members per room.
CAMP & CABIN-BASED TOURS: 8 days/ 7 nights: We stay in organized campgrounds four nights, and spend two nights indoors at the Majestic Valley Wilderness Lodge (2 or 3 family members to a room; rooms feature one double and one twin bed, and private baths). While camping we supply easy-to-erect four-person Eureka tents, which are perfect for two people and their luggage. Be sure to bring your own sleeping bag and insulated sleeping pad, or, with advance notice, you can rent these from us ($25 per bag, and/or $10 per sleeping pad). Hot showers are available most days.
LODGE-BASED TOURS: 8 days/7 nights: All nights are spent in private rooms with private bathrooms at local lodges, two to five family members per room/cabin.
CAMP & CABIN-BASED TOURS: All meals are included (except breakfast on the first morning and dinner on the last day), and are prepared by your guide in camp (or are taken at the lodge). We feature fresh, nutritious and tasty foods, multi-course meals, and large portions, often including homemade dutch oven deserts, barbecues, fresh fish and meat, salads, and more. Dinner is a highlight! Lunches are generally buffet-style picnics or brown bag meals that we carry with us on our hikes or other activities. Vegetarians and most special diets (and finicky eaters) can be catered to with advance notice, please list any dietary restrictions or preferences on your tour reservation form.
LODGE-BASED TOURS: All breakfasts and lunches (except breakfast on the first morning), and three dinners are included in the tour price. Most breakfasts are either ordered off the regular menu or are served family style. Lunches are generally buffet-style picnics or brown bag meals that we carry with us on our hikes or other activities. 4 of the 7 dinners on lodge-based tours are not included; these are taken either at our lodges or in local restaurants, and are paid for individually. Vegetarians, vegans, and most other special diets can be catered to with advance notice, please list any dietary restrictions or preferences on your Tour Reservation Form.
LOOK AT ALL THAT’S INCLUDED
• Professional Guide/s: The friendly and capable services of a professional Get Up and Go! Tours guide: Camp & Cabin-based tours with 8-12 clients have two guides.
• All Ground Transport, Anchorage to Anchorage (an Alaska Railroad trip from Denali back to Anchorage is optional)
• All Camping and Included Lodge Costs, as specified in the “Accommodations” section, above
• All or Most Meals, as specified in the “Meals” section, above
• All Necessary Camping Gear, except your personal sleeping bag and ground pad (these are available for rent with advance notice: bags $25, and/or pads $10/pad; obviously not necessary on the lodge-based version of this trip)
• Entrance Fees to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, to Matanuska Glacier, and to all National Parks and Alaska State Parks visited en route
• Denali National Park Wildlife-Viewing Shuttle Bus Trip into the wilderness area of the park
• Denali Dogsled Team Demonstration
• Day Hiking: The amount, length and difficulty of the hiking is customized for each group. Beautiful!
• Alaska Tour Pre-Departure Packet, including general tips, a packing list, arrival and Anchorage lodging information
• Transport to and from Anchorage, where the trip starts & ends
• Anchorage Lodging, before or after the tour; we can help. See our Alaska Tour Pre-Departure Packet for details
• Non-Included Meals (see “Meals,” above), and alcoholic beverages
• Optional Activities (see below)
• Personal Expenses
• Gratuities for your hard-working guide/s; see page 5 of our Alaska Tour Pre-Departure Packet for general tipping guidelines
• Personal Travel Insurance; highly recommended. See our Tour Reservation Form for details
• Child Care of any sort; you are always responsible for the care, safety, and supervision of your children
OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES & PRICES*
- 6-hour Kenai Fjords National Park Wildlife & Glacier-Viewing Cruise: Don’t miss it! ($159 + local sales tax & $3.50 port fee; Children <11: $80 + tax and fee)
- Sea Kayaking near Kenai Fjords National Park ($75 + local sales tax)
- Deep-Sea Fishing Charter: (Salmon or halibut, whole or half-day: $205-$350+ plus local sales tax)
- “Heli-Mushing”: Helicopter-accessed sled dog mushing on a glacier: Fly up and mush a team of real huskies! (~$519 + local sales tax)
- Alaska Sea Life Center entrance. (Adults $20, Children <11: $10; students 12-17 or with i.d. $15 + local sales tax)
- Seavey’s “Ididaride” Sled Dog rides & demo (dog demo & wheeled cart ride with Iditarod sled dogs, not on the snow; Adults $69, children $34.50 + tax)
- Glacier Trekking on the Matanuska Glacier (Adults $84; Children 12 and under $69).
- Introductory Ice Climbing Course on Matanuska Glacier ($164, min age 12)
- Zip-line Rides, near Matanuska Glacier (Adults: $99; Children ages 8-12: $69; minimum weight 70 lbs; maximum weight 235 lbs, 42″ hip size)
- Calm or Whitewater River Rafting at Denali National Park (Adults: $94; Children age 13 and under: $64-$74)
- Flight-seeing to Denali, North America’s tallest peak (20,320′), in Denali National Park (Adults: ~$425-$525 + tax, Children <12: half price)
- Alaska Railroad Wilderness Train Trip from Anchorage to Denali National Park. $171; children 11 and under $86; or Gold Star luxury dome car service: $325; children 11 and under $187 (Gold Star includes two dining car meals). 7+ hours. Highly recommended! If you wish to take the train trip, please let us know ASAP so we can book it for you, as it often sells out.
*Optional activity prices are set by our local partner companies and are subject to change. Credit cards accepted.
GET UP AND GO!
To reserve your place on any of our tours simply give us a call: 1.888.868.4147 or 1.907.245.0795 or email us at email@example.com. Assuming availability, all you’ll need to do to confirm your reservation is to complete our Tour Reservation Form and scan and email, mail, or fax it back to us with your $300 pp/tour deposit ($500 for lodge-based tours). We accept personal checks, money orders, international wire transfers, Visa, Master Card, and AMEX. Thank you, we look forward to your visit!
“Hey Geoff, Just back from a FANTASTIC week on your tour, we just wanted to offer our praise and gratitude while the experience is fresh. From start to finish it was an excellent trip, beginning with the talents and approach of Dave and Terrance, continuing with the superb itinerary, owing also to our compatibility with the Starr family, and including all of the intangible, unpredictable, unplanned, and value-added aspects of the overall Get Up and Go! Alaska Family Explorer experience.
“A few items of note:
-Dave’s cooking was extraordinary – tasty, plenty, timely
-He and Terrance handled each person/experience with utmost patience and professionalism
-They added much with their vast knowledge of Alaska, flora, fauna, people, places, etc.
-The itinerary was perfect – diverse, great mix of places and activities
-Pace was just right – keeping good and busy doing fun stuff, with some downtime as well
-OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES were wonderful mix and we enjoyed each of them so much
-No frills, and yet no corners cut – we were comfortable without cushy, just what we came for
-So much more…hikes!-glaciers-campgrounds-LODGE!!!-laughs…
“It’s late now, and we are still tired from all of the fun and excitement of the trip, and we are catching an early shuttle to the airport to fly home, so I will end this with a plan to write more specifics when I have more time. Suffice to say that we are very satisfied customers, would happily provide testimonials and talk to potential clients and recommend this trip HIGHLY, and we’ll tell Trip Advisor and others about our great experience from start to finish…
“(Did we mention that we took your advice and flew in to Juneau and hiked there and then took the ferry up to Haines and had a wonderful time there? Thanks for adding value in that way.)
“BRAVO! And thanks again to you and the others for everything that made this a memorable and truly positive summer vacation.
“Be well and stay in touch. Gratefully,” –Doug Gertner, Maggie Miller, Jordy Gertner, Colorado
“Dear Geoff, We had a wonderful and adventurous trip to Alaska. Thank you so much for assigning (guide) Amanda A. to us. Never could we have had a more fun, creative, and professional guide. We truly enjoyed her. She has the perfect personality for her job and she represents Get Up and Go! perfectly. She was informative… she just fit in with our crowd of ten beautifully. We appreciate her and are fully aware that Amanda enhanced our experience of Alaska.
“The itinerary was great-just our speed. You did a marvelous job setting things up for us. Thank you! The Alaskan Railroad was great too. We are so glad that we made arrangements thru Get Up and Go! Tours, as we know how doing otherwise could have made or broken our trip. So Geoff, we will recommend your company to other friends from Oregon and beyond. Friends are already asking! Thank you again! Give our best to Amanda. Sincerely, Kathy & Bill Block (John and Matt too).” –Kathy & Bill Block, Oregon
“Hi Geoff, I just wanted to let you know what a wonderful trip we had with Get Up and Go Tours! The trip was awesome, (your guide) Marci was the best, and everything worked out just as planned and hoped for (even better!). Our travelling companions were great, the kids all got along very well and it was an experience none of us will soon forget!
“Really, I just can’t say enough about how smoothly everything went, from the campsites to the equipment, to the food, to Marci’s activity suggestions and ability to make all the arrangements for us (sometimes on short notice!), to keeping her cool when trying to keep to some sort of a time schedule with 5 kids and 4 parents in tow! Thank you so much for everything. Please feel free to use me as a reference – I would love to share my enthusiasm with anyone wishing to learn more about this kind of travel in Alaska, particularly those travelling with children. It was just great! All the best,” –Brenda Rich, Atlanta, Georgia
“The trip was awesome and I am pretty sure we wouldn’t have changed anything for the things we did and the places we stayed. It was beyond our expectations. Our guide did a great job and he was a perfect match for our family. You did a phenomenal job in setting up the trip. It was the best vacation we have ever had since we started doing our family adventure vacations with our kids. I would highly recommend it to anybody and you are welcome to use as a reference.
“Alaska in itself is awesome and breathtaking. Everything from the sky, mountains, glaciers, and water is incredible. Probably the highlight was the glaciers in Seward. Particularly the glacier cruise we took. All the places we stayed and the people who you work with at the different activities were excellent. Thank you so much.” –Jim Barber and family, Indiana
“I would like to thank you and our tour guide Dave for a truly remarkable holiday. We had a tremendous time and have been very impressed by the efficiency and professional approach by your organisation. Dave looked after the two families extremely well. The 4 adults are now tempted to come back for a trip in Wrangell St Elias… We would definitely recommend Get Up And Go! Tours to others. With best wishes, The Wilkie Family.” –Dr. Veronica Wilkie & family, England